Friday, June 17, 2011

Daddy Dearest

Happy birthday daddy. Writing for you,
this dark and dusky hour, I find the few
words I know incapable of saying
all that I want to say. As I'm playing
the game of life, you are there when I slip,
when I am lost. You are there on the flip
side as well. You encourage me to speak,
whatever it may be, you make me seek
the answers at home. You gave me freedom
to ask and question.You don't let boredom
pervade this house with your jokes and antics.

You taught me to be wise, independent
and brave. You told me to make tears redundant.
You told to believe in me, myself and I.
You let me dream as high as the sky.
You made me lose my short temper,
as you brushed aside the steaming ember
to reveal a wrong act, not a wronged person.

Yet, sometimes I feel you encumber me,
restraining my wings as I strive to see
whether the coast is clear. And then, I feel
this epic bond of love protecting me with zeal.

You make me pampered yet not pompous.
You teach me to be proud, yet magnanimous.
You make me lead, yet serve.
You teach me to be bold, yet reserved.
You make me work hard and play hard.

Daddy Dearest, I simply cannot make you see,
how much you have done for me and our family.

So, I am simply going to say,
Daddy, happy birthday.

With lots of love, your daughter Sowmya.




3 comments:

  1. Awwww! Such a cute poem. I'm sure your dad will really like it. Convey b'day wishes to your dad on my behalf :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww this is really cute with a touch of humor !!
    Simply awesome !!! :))) Brilliant Work Sowmi :))

    Best regards and please hand over my best wishes to your father !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sandhya and Saranya. Really touched :-)

    ReplyDelete